Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Shooter Jennings & Hierophant "Black Ribbons"

Artist: Shooter Jennings & Hierophant
Album: "Black Ribbons"
Genre: Awesome.  Okay, lets call it a concept album even though that doesn't even do it justice as to how much I love this album.

So a little over a week ago I was visiting my local library and looking for a few albums to add to the collection that I was missing and I stumbled upon this album by Shooter Jennings.  Now, I already was a fan of Shooter from his "Electric Rodeo" and "Put the O Back in Country" days, but I was a little surprised that I didn't know this album was coming out.  And who the heck was Hierophant? Eh, whatever, I picked it up and threw it on the pile.

Now, I originally wrote quite the opus the first time I tried to put my thoughts to paper but even then it seemed to "heady" and well too much like a real review.  So here's the gist.  The premise of this album takes place at a radio station that is broadcasting it's last night before the government takes over the airwaves.  The "rogue" DJ decides that he wants to play the band Hierophant, kind of a underground, truth speaking/seeking kind of band.  The "rogue" DJ is none other than Stephen King.  Every couple of tracks he comes on and does a narration to the keep the mood just right for this album.  Back to the music.  This shit rocks.  If you like in your face Rock with a touch of country and a touch of fuzz and a little grime and a bunch of dirt mixed in with a little political flavoring than this is for you.  Check out the song "Summer of Rage" and "All of This Could Have Been Yours".   

So far, I have forced this album on my friends and pleasantly none of them have choked on it.  In fact, most have thanked me for turning them onto it.

Buy it.  Download it.  Get a copy of it.  In an age where it seems like we are lucky to get one or two great songs off an album and pretty much skip most of the filler, get this album.  I said ALBUM.   You won't be disappointed.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? email me........shaft@stereogasm.com

No comments:

Post a Comment