Thursday, January 7, 2010





Artist: The Cool Kids
Genre: Underground Hip Hop
Album: Bake Sale
Released: 2008



Old school, fun, original & not over-produced. Mikey & Chuck deliver right to ya’ doorstep, nuthin’ but new school rhymes over the top of old school beats. Based on these dudes’s dress code (including but not limited to gold chains, slim fit jeans, Jordans & LOUD colors) this is exactly the feel that they were goin’ for on this project.

Growing up, I never had a tricked out bike (sad face). Best case scenario, I had whatever bike that was on sale on K- Mart. Well, after listening to Black Mags, it makes me wish that I had one back in the day. Actually, it makes me wish that I had one now. Mikey, in a not so braggadocios tone, describes his bike to you. “Gold hundred spokes” “Lime green frame” “Dollar signs on the bike seat” That Dyno Bike sounds sick! He gives you all of that about the bike & you almost forget that the track is hot. I said almost. The trademark hard hitting deep bass is present. An echo-like tap goes the duration of the song. The tie that binds the music is the chopped & screwed hook. Seriously? I want one of those Dyno Bikes now.

You will enjoy the hour spent bobbing ya head to Bake Sale. The Cool Kids are eclectic & they appear to be very comfortable in their own skin. Their lyrical content comes across as creative, & descriptive. You’ll feel as if you know these dudes after two, three times listening to the album in full. While listening, I noticed sumn’. At no point in the album did I find myself goin “What the hell is this dude saying” Every word, every phrase was clear & concise. That is commendable because enunciation is a lost art form in modern day hip-hop. This is definitely worth a listen.

Notes: If you like old school or underground hip-hop, I highly recommend. The heavy basslines make this a banger for the car. PLAY LOUD


- Kojak

No comments:

Post a Comment